Thursday, November 20, 2008

i drove through dark street after dark street on the east side looking for the building climbing poetree was performing at last night. 45 minutes were spent driving around and around, sitting at stop lights, feeling more and more hopeless and worried that i was going to miss them. knowing that they were close and i could not reach them was a horrible feeling. "i give up!" i shouted at the traffic ahead, then discovered i was on the street. by the time i parked and walked to the front doors of the renovated warehouse, i was told that the show was completely SOLD OUT. climbing poetree means more to me than i have time to write about right now. i missed them when they came to austin a year ago and who knows when they will be back to texas. they are my inspiration. they are my hope. they are the link to some important people in my life. they are rare. i was crushed. alixa and naima were on the other side of that door and i could not go in. so i went home and fixed ramen noodles for dinner. i was sick over the bowl of steaming noodles and the alienating darkness of outside.

hurricane season clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92z6Yx_27qs
i have faith that injustices will be exposed and the truth will be brought out into the light after a hurricane has swept through my life and possibly your life.



DIALOGUE: Anti-Feminist Manifesto
So you call yourself a writer?
   I’m a collector of stories.
How do you know that your writing is good enough?
    Being “good enough” is not the point of writing. I write because I love to.
Isn’t writing about real people a form of exploitation?
    Some of the greatest novels and books of poetry have been written about real people. So there. Fiction is often inspired by fact.
Maybe you should be a journalist instead?
    I’ve never wanted to be a journalist.
Well, I cannot allow you to have any connection to my circle of women whatsoever.
    Excuse me?
You are not part of MY community.
    How am I not part of your community?
You are not wanted here. Good luck finding somewhere else.
    I belong to your “community” as much as you and I suggest you start showing some respect.

No comments: