Saturday, October 24, 2009

Business.

This afternoon I had exactly $1.83 in my checking account when I received my first freelance writing check in the mail. I immediately rushed off to the bank and deposited it, smiling the whole drive. It is an amazing feeling to earn money completely by yourself, separate from "the man." I wanted to frame the check and hang it on my wall as a reminder. For the first time in my life, I'm paying for bills through MY OWN BUSINESS. CEO, creator, marketing director, and accountant rolled into one. The sweetness of bucking the corporate hierarchy of oppression feels oh so victorious. Rent will be paid this month through the earnings of my business.

Yesterday, a friend had invited me to a happy hour at someone's house, and picturing a happy hour with cocktails inside a house, I dressed up for the occasion. I had on high heels, fishnet stockings, and a short skirt, not understanding that the happy hour was at a working farm on the outskirts of the city. I felt like the quintessential city woman trekking through mud and green fields in high heels when the farmer led us on a full tour. Mosquitoes and darkness descending on us, we sat around a bonfire drinking beer and eating food. I hate mosquitoes and I was absolutely miserable in the fishnets and skirt, but I'm glad I experienced the farm. I realized how disconnected most people are from farms, from the food we buy at the grocery store. There are so many children who come of age not knowing what broccoli looks like in the ground or how it is grown. A travesty. The vegetables are harvested and then sold to local restaurants and stores like Whole Foods. They also sell free-range chicken and pork directly to families. We got a chance to see their enormous hogs and chicken.

Today, I slept until 1 in the afternoon and we carved pumpkins. It was about 75 degrees. I watched my housemate and her friend do the dirty work- I have a fear of sharp knives, you know. They took out the spaghetti-like insides and I harvested the seeds. Roasting them in the oven and adding salt makes for the perfect late night autumn snack. The seeds are soaking in a bowl of cold water near the sink right now.

No comments: