Saturday, October 3, 2009

Rainy day...

Steady rain is in the forecast for the next several days and so I had to reschedule my sessions with the landscape design clients. I stayed home, lit vanilla candles, and made lunch for my housemate using what we had in the kitchen.

-cilantro
-garlic
-onions
-jalapenos

Here is what I decided on.

Quesadillas with Beans and Rice
I got out my cutting board and cut the above ingredients. I tossed the mixture into a pan sizzling with oil. The combination of the cooking cilantro, jalapenos, onions, and garlic was heavenly!

Then I took some corn tortillas and warmed them in another pan with oil. Tortillas are complete when lightly crisped and steaming hot.

I added grated Monterrey Jack cheese to the middle of a tortilla with the onion mixture, folded it in half, and flipped it over to heat each side like a pancake.

I arranged several quesadillas on a plate and filled the center of the plate with a cup of brown rice, red beans, a handful of cilantro, and a row of spicy pico de gallo. I sliced up part of a jalapeno and decorated the outside of the quesadillas to make the plate extra dazzling. I wish I had had an avocado because it would have been a nice touch to add around the edges of the plate with a sliced lime for flavoring the beans and rice.

She loved it, and this made me happy.
______________________________________________________________________________________

If only I were not on a budget, I would cook up a storm in the kitchen every day and have my friends over for dinner all the time. I'm a believer in buying locally, utilizing what is in season, and being mindful about how your food has been treated before it came into your hands. Cooking at home is one way you can be more connected to everything around you. Even though I'm almost broke, I can still cook.

No comments: