Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why Men Love Bitches.

The release of Why Men Love Bitches has me thinking more about this observation and wondering: Is the same to be said for women who love women? The book obviously invites some controversy. The author writes that she is not advocating that women become more abrasive to appeal to men, rather that women learn how to stand their ground and not become a doormat in relationships.

She found the women men most desire are independent, pursue their own goals and dreams separate from a man, and do not expect him to rescue them. Men like a woman who does not place him at the center of everything in her life. Who doesn't appreciate a woman like that? And how does embodying these characteristics make a woman "a bitch"?

Personally I don't have the energy to read yet another book that tells me that I need to change myself in order to snag a relationship or that there is something lacking in me because I've had relationships that haven't panned out. I think you should simply be who you are and the right person will want to have you in their life. Not all men and women love bitches. That women in our culture are feeling pressured to place on the bitch mask to have men falling after us is unfortunate. I have not read the full book. But my reaction is "fuck it!" and read Cunt by Inga Muscio, a far more enlightening and empowering piece of work.

No comments: