Tuesday, April 21, 2009

coincidences.

a timeline

2002- my mom's hairdresser, michael, wants to fix me up with his friend jill. we become friends. she introduces me to some of her friends.

2003- jill decides to go to school to become a therapist.

2004- i have a distant crush on this girl who works at the feminist bookstore but do not even know her name. she is adorable and i love her energy.

2005- jill is an intern at an lgbtq counseling center. she tells me a little about this one client she is counseling who is close in age to me. she never uses her name, of course.

jan 2006- i'm at a friend's house one evening. we're watching the L word with a bunch of people. this one girl i had gone out on a couple of dates with in the past brings a friend who makes the room spin for me. this is my first introduction to e. it was lust at first sight.

may 2006- j and i are at a coffee house and we see e. i want to talk to her, but she is in a deep conversation on her cell phone. i wonder when i will see her again and how i will ever strike up conversation with her.

aug 2006- kg and i go out on a date. she gets back together with her ex and the flirtation comes to a screeching halt. around that time, i discover that e is connected to j on her myspace friends list and boldly decide to send a message. "we met at my friend's party in january. remember me?" she writes back and adds me as a friend. our correspondence begins.

sept 2006- e and i have our first date. i also go out with two other women who have suddenly asked me out, and this guy who asked me out. craziness. i like e the most.

oct 2006- e and i are dating. i find out that the bookstore crush from years ago is her ex-girlfriend, k. they were together for two years and e was with her during the time of my crush. i also find out that k dated kg right before she went out with e, like me, and her former therapist used to be jill. the client jill talked about with me once had been e! AND i find out that michael, the hairdresser, knows e and tried to fix her up with jill in the past. but e had to break it to him that jill was her therapist.

may 2008- e and i have broken up and i ask jill for a recommendation on a good therapist for me. the woman she refers me to turns out to work with e. wtf? i have to find a different therapist.

feb 2009- p meets me at a drag show and seeks me out as a friend.

mar 2009- i discover p is friends with e and best friends with k.


here is what i'm thinking. our city is like a smaller town sometimes, particularly within the lesbian community, but there are simply too many coincidences with my ex-girlfriend. it is truly bizarre how interconnected we all are.

No comments: