Monday, September 21, 2009

I've luckily been able to find a part-time job as a freelance writer for a real estate company, which is going to save me. I'll probably work at a coffee house with a bottomless cup of coffee every afternoon, laptop computer in tow. I'd like to have internet at the house so that I can work from my "home studio," but I have a hunch that I would spend too much time fooling around in my pj's. When you work for yourself, I think it's essential to know where to draw the lines and how to balance home and work spaces, otherwise, work will invade every part of your life. I love being self-employed because it offers a greater sense of control over what I create. You can negotiate your rates. You can turn a project down. You can choose not to work on a Monday morning if you so desire and sleep in (like I did this morning). You have so many more liberties. Between writing, tutoring several students, and designing gardens here and there, I think I will be o.k.

I've got my soul back.

The lesson I'm learning is that you should go after what you want out of this world. Follow your dreams. Do what you love. The universe will shift for you in places you never expected, cracking open hot springs and carving out paths. Make a list of what you desire. Imagine how you want your life to look.

No comments: