Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Today marks the Fall Equinox. The vivid colors and energies of autumn are meant to come out in full force. I've experienced moments of intense optimism. I dream of next year's garden filled with purple eggplants, spinach, rows of lettuce, yellow and butternut squash, big pumpkins to cut open and carve. Going to Wheatsville Co-op reminds me to celebrate the harvest, to eat what is in season, and to remember that the Earth grows different foods at certain times.

My roommate and I are going to get pumpkins soon to carve into jack-o-lanterns. I have a phobia of sharp knives so guess who won't be carving. I'll be in the kitchen washing the seeds, spreading them out on a pan, adding salt, and sticking the whole pan in the oven to roast. Homemade salted pumpkin seeds with a beer is a treat I look forward to year after year. Yum. The perfect beer on my list right now is Live Oak Hefeweissen with a slice of lemon. I had a frothy pint with a friend at The Spiderhouse late last night with the lemon floating in the center and reminisced on "the good old days" when I would come all the time with friends. R? Are you reading? You remember those nights. Now I rarely ever go to The Spiderhouse. It is out of my neighborhood and I feel like it is no longer quite my scene.

Downtown at a theater, I partook in a monthly queer film series. This month's feature was the movie "Bound," a long time favorite. But first we had to sit through a horrible and raunchy burlesque skit performed by drag queens, sure to illicit some nightmares for lesbians in the audience. I'm just sayin'.

No comments: